The Trouble with Words by Suzie Tullett #BlogTour #GuestPost

Today I am delighted to be able to share a wonderful guest post by Suzie Tullett. Where you can find out how she created the characters for The Trouble with Words….I  hope you enjoy it as much as me.

The Book
Annabel is desperate to have a baby - there’s just one problem. She’s single, and after losing her husband in a hit and run accident she’s just not ready for a relationship.
Dan is on the hunt for the perfect woman - but when his mother drops a bombshell, he starts to feel the pressure.
When Dan and Annabel’s worlds collide, both think that maybe they’ve found the solution to their problems...but things start to get messy.
Can both Dan and Annabel get what they want?
Both will soon find out that the trouble with words is finding the right thing to say.


Guest Post
As writers, we all have our own way of tackling a new novel. Some of us begin with an overall story idea, some with a setting, or an event, or it may be a character that gets our creative juices flowing. After all, we authors are a diverse bunch.
Personally though, I always, always, always start with my characters. It’s their story I’m telling so I have to know everything about them. From what they look like, to their backgrounds, to their earliest memories and even their favourite colours and star signs. I obviously don’t include all of this on the page, that would make for boring reading. But character profiles are my way of getting into my characters’ heads and making sure I stay there.
It’s from here that I start to think about the inciting incident, the one thing that happens to turn my characters’ lives upside down. How my characters react to this incident is what sets the emotional journey that follows in motion. I suppose it’s a bit like the domino theory or the cause and effect principle in that one things leads to another and another and so on… which inevitably leads me to consider the plot line.
At this stage, I know all about my characters, how their story will start, and I have a pretty good idea as to how it will finish. Which is why, being a plotter not a panster, I then go on to write a breakdown of how the story is going to develop. Naturally, this breakdown isn’t written in stone, it’s subject to change. After all, characters have a knack of telling an author when something isn’t right, that a different direction is needed. But it does help me to get to grips with the middle of the story and fill in any gaps. It also gives me a focus and sense of confidence as I finally set about writing the book.
This all probably sounds a bit unnecessary to some, especially to those writers who like to dive straight in without any preparation at all. But whilst I admire their free-spirited approach, I also love each of the stages my own novels go through. My imagination gets to run riot no matter where in the writing process I happen to be.


Author Bio:
Suzie Tullett is an author of contemporary humorous fiction and romantic comedy. She has a Masters Degree in Television & Radio Scriptwriting and worked as a scriptwriter before becoming a full-time novelist. Her motto is to 'live, laugh, love' and when she's not busy creating her own literary masterpieces, she usually has her head in someone else's.
Suzie lives in a tiny hamlet in the middle of the French countryside, along with her husband and two Greek rescue dogs.


Twitter @SuzieTullett
My website Suzie Tullett
Instagram suzie_tullett


Comments

Popular Posts