Q&A Interview with James Beltz

I am delighted to welcome James Beltz author of Slaughter: Origin Story to take part in my Q&A Interview



Good Morning and welcome to Chelle’s Book Reviews. Can you tell us a little about yourself and background?


I was a full-time photographer of 15 years. It is how I put food on the table. But more and more people started coming into the industry and it got harder to keep that up. Now, half of everyone you know on Facebook is a photographer. I decided to go back to work. I worked for 2 years at UPS, and was depressed the entire time. One morning I get up and head to the kitchen to make coffee. Out loud I said, “God if you will give me one more chance to make a living with my creativity, I will not squander it.” This little still voice in the back of my head said, “You should try writing a book.

I peeled off into my office and sat down at my computer. I wrote a sentence about a guy driving a Jeep down a dirt road. That sentence turned into a paragraph. The paragraph to a chapter. Before you know it, I had a novel that was almost 115,000 words long. And I did it in 7 weeks. It actually took longer to copy edit than it did to write.

When I was done, my wife loved it so much she told me to quit my job and focus on this. I will never forget that. She is amazing.

When did you know that you wanted to become a writer? and how did you go about it?

I was involved in Creative Writing in college. My instructors all told me that this was my deal. But I was getting a degree in business and largely ignored them. I did not write another thing other songs until this book.

Can you tell us what genre your books are and the audience you write for?
Action / Adventure / Thriller / Crime. It kind of lumps in to all of those.

What is your writing process? and how long does it take?
I like ti write as if I am the reader taking in as it happens. One thing leads to another. I have no real plan or direction. Unorthodox, to be sure. But it appears to work for me.

Are your characters based on anyone you know or are they just fictional?
I have three characters that are loosely based on people I know. There is a real DJ, a real Brett Foster, and a real Abbi. Both DJ and Abbi have different last names, but many of their characteristics find their way into the fictional character.

Have you wrote about a personal experience in your novels?

I have. There are many instances and situations that find themselves into my storylines. But I am silent on what they are. Some are personal…

What research do you do?
Internet as well as some personal contacts I have in the FBI.

Who would you like to co-write with and why?
No one. I am too big of a control freak.

What's your favorite book?
Hard one. How about I provide three series. Terry Brooks Shannaran series, all of the Mitch Rapp books from Vince Flynn, and the Eye of the World series by Robert Jordan.

What's your favorite food?
Spaghetti. Specifically the top secret recipe my wife makes for me. AMAZING!

What's your favorite film?
Wow. Another hard one. I love the Star Wars franchise. Specifically, the first three. I also loved the Die Hard series.

What's your favorite song?
I don’t have one. It changes from day to day.

How can readers find out more information about yourself and your books?

Latest Book: https://www.amazon.com/Slaughter-Origin-Story-James-Beltz-ebook/dp/B071WX3DKV/ref=sr_1_1_twi_kin_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500998156&sr=8-1&keywords=slaughter+origin+story

Website: www.Jamesbeltz.com
Thank you for joining me today James


Comments

Popular Posts