Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman #GuestReview

Today my guest reviewer Deryl shares her thoughts on Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

The Book
Eleanor Oliphant leads a simple life. She wears the same clothes to work every day, eats the same meal deal for lunch every day and buys the same two bottles of vodka to drink every weekend.
Eleanor Oliphant is happy. Nothing is missing from her carefully timetabled life. Except, sometimes, everything.
One simple act of kindness is about to shatter the walls Eleanor has built around herself. Now she must learn how to navigate the world that everyone else seems to take for granted – while searching for the courage to face the dark corners she’s avoided all her life.
Change can be good. Change can be bad. But surely any change is better than… fine?
Deryl's Thoughts
Well, what can I say about this book?

Even though I am not keen on books that are written in the First person I loved it right from the start!

I was in Miss Oliphant's world, I think the reason why is ...... we are all like her in a way ..... the same route to work, same coffee in the same bakery chain the same sandwich deal for lunch.

Her awkwardness in social gatherings (or trying to avoid them) ozzes out of the page, you can FEEL it!

I kept saying to myself as I read "you wouldn't treat her like that if you knew what she was going through" and it is true we have no idea of what secret scars and troubles someone is hiding ..... treat everyone with a little kindness it might just make a difference.

And the little twist near the end?! I had to stop and go back a page or two and say "hang on have I got this?"

Absolutely cracking story .... it flows full of images like a film in your head. I could hardly put it down.

An admirable debut novel from Gail Honeyman and a deserving four stars from me!
 

Comments

Popular Posts