Q&A INTERVIEW WITH KAREN LONG

I am delighted that Karen Long to my blog today. Author of The Eleanor Raven Series, which I loved and gave 5 stars to. Has dropped by my blog to take part in my Q&A interview….. So without further ado I would like to welcome Karen Long



Morning thank you for joining me this morning
Thank you for inviting me

Can you tell us a little about yourself and background?
I’m in my fifties and love running and travel. I’m a vegetarian and wildlife enthusiast, with a particular obsession for all things feathered. Originally a Black Country girl, I’ve spent my adult life in rural Shropshire, where I still live with too many dogs and my daughters.

When did you know that you wanted to become a writer? and how did you go about it?
I think I’ve always wanted to write professionally but had the opportunity to give up full time teaching in 2001 and concentrate on writing. I began by writing screenplays and some television before starting on my first novel, which was aimed at the YA readership. Having managed to write an entire novel I focussed on my genre and began.

Can you tell us what genre your books are and the audience you write for?
I write crime fiction and, if I was to indicate a readership, I’d suggest the Mo Hayder/Thomas Harris audience would be the most likely to appreciate my style of writing. I focus on character, procedure, accurate forensics and criminal psychology.

What is your writing process? and how long does it take?
I am glacially slow. My word count is abysmal, despite my best intentions. Easily distracted and reluctant to commit, every page is like pulling teeth. However, I do make every effort to get domestic tasks finished in the morning, so I can settle at my desk/conservatory/bed and get on.

Are your characters based on anyone you know or are they just fictional?
They are fictional but each has a flavour of an actor or an acquaintance. Even if it’s just an eye roll!

Have you wrote about a personal experience in your novels?
Well, I write about kidnappings, BDSM and plastination, so I’d have to say not really. However, I have visited TS clubs, witnessed post mortems, seen plastinated bodies and handled weapons and live ammunition.

What research do you do?
If I can’t arrange to experience something first hand, I will visit museums, watch documentaries, speak to experts and read everything I can on the subject. If I don’t do that, I’m writing science fiction, not crime fiction.

Who would you like to co-write with and why?
I’m not sure that I’m really cut out for co-writing. I never discuss plot lines with anyone, while I’m writing, though I’m more than happy to take notes on the second/third draft. I’d love to share ideas with Denis Lehane, who is a phenomenal writer.

What's your favorite book?
I have a great many favourites but if I had to choose one, it would be ‘Lord of the Flies’ by William Golding.

What's your favorite food?
I love Mexican food. Anything with mushrooms and vegetables gets my vote.

What's your favorite film?
‘Seven’ by David Fincher. It’s very dark.

What's your favorite song?
I’m not a big music fan. Song and tunes slip in and out of my life and, once gone, I rarely revisit. However, I will say that ‘Jerusalem’ can still lift my heart and bring a tear to my eye.

How can readers find out more information about yourself and your books?
I have an Author’s page on Amazon, where you can buy The Safe Word and The Vault and several media pages.

Website:         KarenLongWriter.com
Twitter:           KarenLongWriter
Facebook:      Karen Long
Pinterest:       The Safe Word/The Vault
Good Reads: Karen Long




Comments

Popular Posts