A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman #GuestReview

Deryl Easton shares her thoughts on A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman with us today



The Book

A grumpy yet loveable man finds his solitary world turned on its head when a boisterous young family moves in next door.

Meet Ove. He's a curmudgeon, the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him the bitter neighbor from hell, but must Ove be bitter just because he doesn't walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove's mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents' association to their very foundations.


Deryl's Thoughts

A Man Called Ove... 

One of the most stirring stories I have read.

So well written the characters emotions and situations are completely believable.

I found myself laughing out loud with this book and swallowing a lump in the throat at times, especially when Ove is talking to his wife so touching you just know if it was in her power to Sonja would make everything alright!

It is all he wants, wife, Saab car and peace and quiet.

His sadness and loss come out as sheer frustration and anger...anger at everyone (especially men in white shirts)

The book really did make me feel so angry with him at one point I thought what a bloody horrible guy I am finished with this... then a few lines later I am laughing at how (its a trick to make you buy more expensive flowers)And then swallowing hard when he says to his wife... "I miss you".

Three emotions in a paragraph or two... and it was the same all the way through.

Until right up to the end I was racing up the stairs to his bedroom trying to read ahead of Ove's neighbor inside I was thinking oh god no!! Please hurry up.........

The review is short but not half-hearted. I loved this book and Ove for me Ove's look at life his stickler for rules and regiment will honestly never leave.

I will look at things I see through Ove's eyes...... Like the man under a car with a car jack and no axle stands!! In the town the other day "No axel stand man".

A wonderful read.




Comments

Popular Posts