Q&A Interview with Donna McCarthy

Today I would like to welcome author of debut novel Hangman’s Hitch, Donna McCarthy to my blog page. Donna has kindly offered to take part in my Q&A Interview.....Without further ado here is the lovely Donna McCarthy




Morning thank you for joining me this morning
Hi Shell, thank you for having me!


Can you tell us a little about yourself and background?
Well at 45 (nearly) there is a lot to tell! But in short, I have 6 older brothers, no sisters! Was brought up in Oxford until 11, then came to Southampton, where I have mainly remained…minus a few Road trips that resulted in longish stays!
Studied English and Drama at college, as truly, truly, believed the world stage was ready for Donna Maria McCarthy! Unfortunately, not quite, not yet anyway! Haha!
Love to read, love to write, love to tell stories round camp fires! Love anything spooky, not in your face, just creepy and psychological!


When did you know that you wanted to become a writer? and how did you go about it?
I have always enjoyed writing, have journal upon journal of short stories, poetry, anything, really, I feel compelled to write down.
I seriously decided to try to make a career out of it, when somebody read the first page of The Hangman’s Hitch and said that I should pursue it, and as I was in the throws of writing it, would not hurt to try submitting…well love a challenge me, so I set about it! After a year of serious attempts and close but not quites, I received an offer from BNBS, and from there, well my life has never been the same.


Can you tell us what genre your books are and the audience you write for?
My books are Gothic, Horror, Supernatural, Fantasy, but I think I bend Genres, as my books are always my observations on life and people set in surrealistic form. It is not unusual to find a Romance, or psychological twists, or crime, comedy, in fact it figures big!


What is your writing process? and how long does it take?
I rough out the outline on my phone in notes, scraps of paper are big too!  I have the idea, then will wait until one word strikes me, inspires me, makes me think, then I write and am consumed by it until it is ready for first edit/proof! Hate those two words! It generally takes me a year from conception to completion, ready for edit.


Are your characters based on anyone you know or are they just fictional?
My characters are always based on people who I have met, and have stood out to me, for either good or bad reasons, but will never name, names!


Have you wrote about a personal experience in your novels?
Some, but removed, and set on a stage that I find therapeutic in the reading, so it really works for me. It distances things, can even make them attractive!


What research do you do?
I read everything and anything, lots of history, I think most writers find themselves engrossed in some of the strangest things sometimes, if only to marvel at somebody's writing prowess!


Who would you like to co-write with and why?
Anne Rice, I think she is quirky, awesome, so strange, and if you read her personal history it is just as engrossing as her fab books!


What's your favorite book?
Interview with the vampire (mind you it changes from time to time)


What's your favorite food?
Roast dinner, pasta


What's your favorite film?
Philadelphia


What's your favorite song?
I think’ Imagine’, John Lennon


How can readers find out more information about yourself and your books?
My books are on Amazon, in Waterstones, in Foyles Charing Cross London, most digital platforms.
You can find out more about me on Facebook, Twitter, friend me, girl cannot have too many friends! Also check out my Book page on Facebook @Potion666 (Promise, I am not the Devil!)

Thank you so much for joining me today and good luck with your novel



Comments

Popular Posts