Q&A Interview with Linda Huber

Today I am delighted to welcome Linda Huber to join me for a Q&A Interview. Linda has wrote seven  psychological thriller/suspense novels including Chosen Child which I have read recently and her latest novel is Death Wish. Which is out on the 31st August. Which can be pre-ordered here at Amazon



Can you tell us a little about yourself and background?
I grew up in Glasgow, became a physiotherapist, then went to work in Switzerland for ‘a year’, which has turned out to be the rest of my life up until now… Marriage, kids, dog… When my husband died unexpectedly, leaving me with two pre-teen boys, I retrained as an English language teacher to give me more time at home – and started writing seriously.

When did you know that you wanted to become a writer? and how did you go about it?
Writing has always been my best hobby, ever since I did my Writer’s Badge in the Brownies. As a kid, I wrote little stories for children, then graduated to longer pieces. Then in my twenties I started writing short stories and articles for women’s mags. Over fifty were published, then one day I decided to have a go at a novel in the genre I most love to read – psychological suspense.

Can you tell us what genre your books are and the audience you write for?
I have seven published novels now, and all fall into the psychological thriller/suspense categories. My readers are a lovely mixture – probably more women than men, and mainly adults, though I once had an email from a twelve-year-old who read my second book and wanted information for a school project she was using it for. The oldest that I know of is well over ninety.  

What is your writing process? and how long does it take?
I usually have at least two on the go at once, so if one sticks I can go on with the other for a while. I start with an idea for the story – something happens, then this, then that… Then I think about the characters and flesh them out a bit. The next step is to make short plans for the first few chapters, and then I start writing, making further chapter plans as I go, but not too far ahead because the story tends to change as it develops. It takes as long as it takes. Chosen Child was the quickest, around fifteen months from first word to last edit, and the longest were my first two at several years, though I started writing them just for fun. The ‘getting published’ idea came later.

Are your characters based on anyone you know or are they just fictional?
I suppose most of them have bits of me and bits of people I know in them, but all are fictional. Some are based on something I’ve seen in the news. In Ward Zero, for instance, the idea for the bad guy came after I saw news/tv reports about a scam people were running against the elderly.
Have you written about a personal experience in your novels?
Experience no, but setting, yes. I like to place my books in an area I know reasonably well. My books’ locations tend to follow my friends around the UK…

What research do you do?
Mostly internet, though I have a small team of teachers, nurses, policemen, lawyers etc at the ready to help with tricky questions!

Who would you like to co-write with and why?
Ruth Rendell writing as Barbara Vine, though that’s no longer possible, sadly. She was brilliant – such dark, twisty stories…

What's your favorite book?
I have three all-time faves – A Cry in the Night by Mary Higgins Clark; The Blood Doctor by Barbara Vine;  A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes.

What's your favorite food?
Indian.

What's your favorite film?
I have two – Dances with Wolves, and ET. I have yet to watch ET and not cry at the end. And the music for Dances with Wolves is just amazing.

What's your favorite song?
I don’t really have one. Maybe Ashes to Ashes by David Bowie.

How can readers find out more information about yourself and your books?
On my website: www.lindahuber.net
or on my Amazon author page: viewAuthor.at/LindaHuber


Thank you so much for joining me today Linda….I love your taste in films

Comments

Popular Posts