Q&A INTERVIEW WITH ROBERT ENRIGHT

Today I am very excited  that the lovely Robert Enright  Author of Doorways (A Bermuda Jones Case File)
has dropped my blog to take part in my Q&A interview…...so without further ado I would like to welcome the one and only Mr Robert Enright




Can you tell us a little about yourself and background?
Absolutely. I am a 29 (Soon to be 30!) year old writer, born and raised in North West London and now residing in Bushey, Hertfordshire. I am a HR and Systems Analyst by day, having worked for some of the UK's biggest charities and Disney and am a fully functional geek. So nothing too groundbreaking, but I do pride myself on how proactive and driven I am when it comes to my writing.


When did you know that you wanted to become a writer? and how did you go about it?
Years ago. I spent a lot of my time doing creative writing in my teens and then when I got to about 17/18, I started to plan out a comic book series. That evolved into several comic books ideas but I never really finished any of them. That eventually lead to a few film idea's (two of which I have full scripts. One of them is a ROMCOM!!) and that was where One by One became an idea. I turned the script of that into a novel which I self published in March 2015.


After that, I pitched DOORWAYS to Matt at Urbane and we agreed a contract and I somehow managed to get published, which is what I set out to do. :)


Can you tell us what genre your books are and the audience you write for?
Ummm...this is a tricky one. It is an Urban Sci-fi/Fantasy/Crime/Parallel World/Buddy Cop/Mystery/Action Thriller. So it is hard to pitch. However I would say it is for people who enjoy a good mystery, blended with action and a large dose of spooky, sci-fi ideas. It's almost like a dark version of Men in Black, only not with aliens.


Many of the people who have read it are big crime or sci-fi fans and the response has been wonderfully positive so far. So if anyone fancies something different, they should check it out. (Please buy my book.)


What is your writing process? and how long does it take?
It varies. Sometimes I sit down with the intention to write two chapters and I might do a page. Other times I sit down just to re-read the last chapter and end up writing the next one. I have to be left alone though. My poor missus, she gets banished from the room.


I also listen to a lot of instrumental, classical music as well. I find it helps me build scenes. I can also be found talking out loud to myself as I speak the dialogue to make sure it flows.


Are your characters based on anyone you know or are they just fictional?
There are a few characters in the book who are based on people I know, as a way of thanking them for their support. But there are no characters who are the exact same as people in real life.


Have you wrote about a personal experience in your novels?
A few things. Just a few experiences I have drawn on but nothing to deep. Like how I felt when a certain thing happened etc. My life would be a lot more exciting if One by One or Doorways was based on reality.


What research do you do?
I go and see where I am writing. I went for a tourist day round London for Doorways, taking lots of pictures of the London landmarks that are featured in the book. I also went to the Shard to experience that, making notes on what you can see from where.


The next book is based in Glasgow, so I may have to revisit that wonderful city but when it gets a bit warmer!


Who would you like to co-write with and why?
I would love to co-write with Garth Ennis, who is my favourite comic book author. The man just writes such compelling storylines. Also Dennis Lehane, because as a crime writer, I find he really taps into a gritty side of humanity.


Also my friend, David McCaffrey. I absolutely adored Hellbound and seen as how we have had some wonderful discussions around comic books, I reckon we could write something pretty cool.


What's your favorite book?
The Passage Trilogy by Justin Cronin. Its my favourite series of books and the 3rd one, City of Mirrors, has just come out in hardback. I cannot wait to get to grips with it. It's a post apocalyptic, vampire/zombie survival book but just unlike anything I have read.


What's your favorite food?
Bolognese. We have it with Corgetti (because we are modern and cool) but pretty much any italian food.


What's your favorite film?
Man on Fire. Denzel's best performance (in my opinion) and the bond between him and Peta is just so well developed and performed. It's the best revenge film, followed by The Crow, both of which heavily influenced One by One.


What's your favorite song?
New Found Glory's cover of 'King of Wishful Thinking' by Go West. It's absolutely superb.


Also 'California Love' by TuPac, 'Stan' by Eminem, 'My December' by Linkin Park and 'Where'd You Go' by Fort Minor round out my top 5.


Although, The Weeknd's new song, 'I Feel It Coming' is being binge played at the moment.


How can readers find out more information about yourself and your books?
There is a website coming. Hoping to have that launched in early 2017 so that will be available. In the meantime, I am on Social Media fairly regularly and I LOVE hearing from readers and talking about mine or any other book. So add me on the following:




Thank you so much for joining me today and good luck with your book
Thanks for a wonderful interview. :)



Comments

Popular Posts