Q&A Interview with Iain King


How excited am I that the lovely Iain king has dropped by my blog on his publication day to take part in my Q&A Interview..... So without further ado I would like to welcome Mr Iain King.


Good Morning and Happy Publication Day
Thank you and Good morning I have got a very exciting and busy day ahead of me.

Can you tell us a little about yourself and background?
I’ve worked as a civilian (never a soldier) in about fifteen conflicts and warzones around the world, and spent time at university mulling over philosophy.  I’m married, with two kids, and the day I do the Crime Book Club Author Chat(29th January) I’ll become one year older!

When did you know that you wanted to become a writer? and how did you go about it?
When I was fourteen, in the year of Live Aid, and decided that only written words could make the world a better place. But I think you need to experience the world before you can write about it.

Can you tell us what genre your books are and the audience you write for? 
My fiction books are intelligent thrillers – plenty of action, but with a whodunnit element, a little romance and some amazing facts.  My audience is half-male, half-female, most of them bright people looking for escapism or thrills.

What is your writing process? and how long does it take?
I plan a book slowly, with lots of research, and making sure the plot is both compelling and watertight.  Then I write the first draft really quickly, drinking lots of coffee – I write night scenes in the dark, and only write ‘feel good’ scenes when I’m happy. Then I review it slowly, checking every sentence, paragraph and chapter is the best it can be, going through it many times.  Each book takes about 18 months, from start to finish.


Are your characters based on anyone you know or are they just fictional?
All my characters have personality traits I’ve seen in real people, but there’s never a one-to-one match.  I exaggerate the traits, too, so the characters are more exciting.  

Have you written about a personal experience in your novels?
Yes, and I’ve visited most of the places I write about, too.  But they’re not autobiographical.  Therapy, maybe…

What research do you do?
I read several non-fiction books on the main theme of a book while I’m planning it, try to visit the location of major scenes, and use the internet to check minor points.  My fiction books need almost as much research as the non-fiction books I’ve done.

Who would you like to co-write with and why?
I know it sounds glib, but I’d love to co-write with each one of my readers.  It would help me get inside their heads, and I think it won’t be long before technology makes it possible.  

What's your favorite book?
Whatever I’m reading to my children that night.

What's your favorite food?
Salad with a spicy dressing.

What's your favorite film?
‘Where Eagles Dare’

What's your favorite song?
Dear Prudence’, the Siouxsie and the Banshees version.

How can readers find out more information about yourself and your books?
My webpage is www.iainbking.com, and I’ve got a brand new author page on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/iainkingsbooks.  Come and say hello!

Thank you Iain for joining me today, I hope you have a wonderful day
Thank you I have really enjoyed it and I am looking forward to my author chat tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts